Thanks to all who joined our 2021/22 Annual Meeting this past Thursday, 3/24! While it’s always more fun to see folks in person, the virtual format made it a heck of a lot easier for members across the state to participate and we were stoked to have so many familiar – and new – faces on the call. Huge thanks to all the Chapters that shared their highlights and updates on last year’s Naming and Trail Grant projects. For those that were unable to participate, feel free to check out both the slides we walked through and we the full meeting recording on Youtube.
In addition to recapping the highlights and performance metrics from the year that was, which you can find in greater detail in our 2021/22 Annual Report, we got to hear from a dozen Chapters about their work this past season, announce the newly elected Board members, and talk through big plans for 2022.
Board Election results
Before announcing the results of the online Board election this past month, we expressed our enormous thanks to the three departing Board Members: Danielle Poirier, Nancy Luke, and Karly Moore. All have been instrumental in shaping and strengthening VMBA these past few years and leave big shoes to fill on the Board.
Following an election that saw 3x the participation of any in the past, we were thrilled to announce that John Ringer was re-elected to his position on the Board and that Tara Mirakian, Quinn Keating, and Tim Maher were voted in as new Directors. We also were stoked to share that Berne Broudy was appointed to the Board as Chapter Representative with the support of the Advisory Council earlier this month. Take a look at our Board Candidates post if you’d like to learn more about Tara, Quinn, and Tim.
While most of our time was spent looking back, we did talk through a handful of exciting things either in the works or on the horizon for the 2022/23 season, specifically:
- New Mission & Vision statements: Check out our Who We Are page to see the updated statements, which help set VMBA’s direction and approach for the future
- 25th Anniversary Campaign: In case you missed it, 2022 marks our 25th year! We’ll be unrolling fun stories and visuals throughout the season that highlight our history and those who helped VMBA become what it is.
- New Hires: We’ll soon be announcing both a new DEI Coordinator and Membership Associate – stay tuned!
- Reward Volunteers: VMBA will be taking over program management from Cabot, who we graciously thank for establishing this cornerstone of our volunteer appreciation work, making it easier for folks to log hours and win prizes in the process.
- Community Builders: As we announced over the winter, we’ll be working with Vermont Adaptive and Pride Rides to help grow our mountain bike community and make riding in Vermont more inclusive.
- Events: With Chapter Kickoff parties fast approaching, dig days on the calendar, and a summer full of festivals, there will be no shortage of opportunities to celebrate building and riding in person this season.
- New Chapters: We’re likely to see a few new Chapters emerge this coming year – if you are interested in establishing trails in your community, first reach out to your nearest Chapter(s) and check out our Starting a VMBA Chapter guide.
- More and Better Trails: With 8 Naming Grants and 10 Trail Grants on the docket for 2022, we’re sure to see new and improved riding throughout the season!
We would not have enjoyed the success we did last season without the individuals and organizations that chose to support us, including Cabot Cremery, Outdoor Gear Exchange, The Lintilhac Foundation, the Conine Family Foundation, Vermont Country Store, Ski Rack, VSECU, Evergreen Sports Medicine, Darn Tough and, of course, our 9,400+ members!