This Position is No Longer Accepting Applications
VMBA’s DEI Pledge: “We pledge to develop vibrant communities emboldened by outdoor recreation and natural environments connected to all mountain bikers not defined by a stereotype or riding ability.”
VMBA, a leading state-wide trail advocacy organization, is looking for a part-time Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Coordinator to help develop, plan, and implement the initiatives designed to meet our mission, values and DEI Pledge. Remote work possible with our office located in Waterbury, VT. The target start date is March 2022.
VMBA’s pledge is to develop vibrant communities emboldened by outdoor recreation and natural environments connected to all. Our primary goal is to build an inviting and inclusive mountain bike community that any individual can be a part of. VMBA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds and skills to continue our work of listening and learning, which is why we invite anyone to apply.
Summary of Position
The DEI Coordinator will help manage the various initiatives and support the DEI Committee members in meeting the goals set collectively by the Committee. The DEI Coordinator should have a strong interest in increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in Vermont’s MTB community and have the ability to work collaboratively to turn ideas into initiatives and, ultimately, action. The position requires 5 hours per week, year-round, with opportunity for remote work. The schedule is flexible but must be available for a weekly remote check-in with the Committee Chair during work hours, and for the remote monthly Committee meetings. Compensation will be $20 per hour worked.
Applicants should be detail-oriented, have experience with project management, and have strong communication skills. Ideal candidates will have a deep understanding of the community and outdoor recreation landscape in Vermont and have a strong appreciation for and understanding of the unique nature of building diversity, equity and inclusion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- DEI Initiatives
- Monitor and assist the various initiatives and underlying projects approved by the DEI Committee, acting as lead on specific initiatives as appropriate
- Provide support and act as a resource to DEI Committee members
- Prepare for and attend weekly check-in meetings with DEI Committee Chair on project status and Coordinator activities
- Generate the agenda for DEI Committee meetings, for Chair review and approval
- Participate and act as Committee Secretary during DEI Committee Meetings
- Work with the VMBA office to disburse funds, as approved by the Committee
- Assist Committee Chair with DEI communications to the public
- Two years relevant work experience
- Two professional references
Desired Skills & Abilities
- Understanding of the community and outdoor recreation landscape in Vermont
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to connect with a diverse array of audiences, including riders and non-riders of all ages and from different backgrounds
- Able to clearly articulate VMBA’s mission and values
- Capacity to independently manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong time management, attention to detail, and organizational skills
- Prior experience and/or skills with project management
- Prior experience with DEI initiatives/projects
- Deep understanding and appreciation of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Passion to make Vermont a more inclusive place to ride
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates are asked to please submit a cover letter, resume, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “VMBA DEI Coordinator” in the subject line. The Hiring Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately. The job posting will close on Feb 20, 2022, at 11:59pm.