Spring in Vermont has always been an exciting time.
Each year as we prepare for the riding season, we imagine all of the networks we’ll visit while having a great time with our riding friends. This year is no exception. You will visit a few new networks and your friends will certainly be there with you.
Getting the season started this year will take a bit more patience than normal, and we will need to enjoy the trails with others’ safety in mind.
In coordination with chapters, we’re developing a set of guidelines for the riding community to follow while on the trails.
Mountain bikers will be scrutinized over how well we observe safe social distancing and not congregating in parking lots or on the trails. Let’s commit to each other that we can safely enjoy the outdoors together. Please remember to ‘Ride-N-Go‘ when trails open.
There’s a lot to get excited about this year. As you know, every chapter works hard to maintain and improve trails in every corner of Vermont.
Here are a few highlights to look forward to:
- Grateful Treads is building a new pump track in Montgomery
- Mad River Riders will be adding a skills park at the Moretown Elementary School
- Fellowship of the Wheel has a huge list of improvement projects
- Waterbury Area Trails Alliance is making improvements to Joe’s Trail
- Upper Valley MTB Association will be expanding their network to include more beginner friendly terrain
- Brewster will be expanding Cricket Hill
- Slate Valley is developing beginner terrain and youth skills workshops
- Sports Trails of the Ascutney Basin will be connecting Ascutney State Park to the rest of the network this year
The Association has remained focused on effective advocacy on behalf of chapters and private landowners. This work is a critical part of chapters’ capacity to build and maintain trails. This advocacy effort will be back in full force very soon!
The COVID crisis has us all refocused on what matters most; the safety of family and friends. And for many, the outdoors likely makes the list of the top 5 things that we all love.
We hope you’re as excited for the summer riding season as we are!
As part of your preparation, be sure to renew you membership. Did you know that everyone who has joined or renewed by June 1st is automatically entered to win a free Velocity wheel set built around Onyx hubs – winner chooses size. All you need to do is purchase your membership by June 1, 2020.
If you’ve already joined, thank you, but there’s more you can do for Vermont!
From May 1st – June 1st, 10% of every donation to our general fund will be sent to the Vermont Foodbank.
A donation big or small strengthens trail advocacy and helps hungry Vermonters.
Please consider donating today.
VMBA Board of Directors