- This event has passed.
Point to Point, powered by VSECU
August 10, 2019
The Point to Point, powered by VSECU, is a cycling and running event that was created in 2002 to raise funds and awareness for the Vermont Foodbank’s mission to end the growing problem of hunger in Vermont. Help a neighbor in need and have fun doing it!
Road, gravel, running, and mountain bike ride options available….see website for details.
20-Mile Mountain Bike Ride Description
- The 20-mile mountain bike ride is an especially fun ride, mixing scenic back roads and technical singletrack among several of STAB’s favorite trails.
- After a two-mile warmup on flat terrain, riders will climb to the first section of singletrack with Mount Ascutney towering alongside. Then it’s into the woods for the first of several private trail networks, open to the public only on two days per year (the iconic Vermont 50 is the other). These trails flow through pine stands and hilltop hay fields, and descend through the stony ledges of the hillside before popping out onto another quiet country road.
- A short coast down this road brings riders to the first fully-stocked aid station, run by some of our great volunteers. Then it’s back up a short hill and into the woods. This section is the toughest technical riding, with a steady dose of tricky pedaling that will keep the best of riders on their toes. Again, this section ends in a smooth, fast finish before the second aid station.
- Section three is the final and longest stretch of the course (unless you follow the shortcut signs!). After a brief dirt road climb, riders enter the acclaimed Ascutney Trails network and start heading back to the starting area to join the P2P Festival. From here, it is singletrack all the way, a blend of old-school technical trail and lots of fresh bermed-out flow turns.
- The final stretch descends the twists and turns of the trails coming off the ski slopes—fast and fun under the afternoon sun.
- As in previous years, the 20-mile course can be shortened in a number of areas, with strategically placed shortcuts along the way for anyone who wants to make up time or avoid a particularly technical section.
VMBA Members receive $20 off registration. Use VMBAMEMBER at thepointtopoint.org by 8/7/19